Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

As A Smile to the Sick Person?

Have you thought about how to smile, looking into the eyes of seriously ill patients? By putting such a question in the first row, I'm very well imagine your reaction. I still ask, here it is again, an opportunity: you wonder why's it so hard to smile at the sick people?

There is such a bright marker outlined circle. Better would never get into that circle, but, stepping at least one finger, barely touching the cold linoleum there, below, you become to others. And forever. Like me. Like millions of those who live near us, but it is for this feature.

My four year old son severe heart disease. And, alas, it's not all our problems. In general - Hilary - it's such a small encyclopedia of error of nature. He irreversible changes in the central nervous system, a host of related and of themselves - issues. But, precisely for this reason that I can tell you about those who always smiles cautiously and suspiciously. And I can say that almost every one of you, looking at me with such a child in her arms, smile a little aloof, and very politely, then say so quietly that they hear only the neighboring thought young laboratory mice: Yeah, that's the same there are problems in humans ...

I'm trying to understand why Russia is a strange attitude to people with disabilities. No, I even do not like that word - you see, how educated a society? I should like to feel warm to know that I will be calm and respectful right now, and tomorrow, but ... I'm ashamed of the word. I had to make the world small, and those who are in it - re-educate, to have ceased to perceive me as a person you'd be sorry and throw up your hands - well, what is there to be done.

Yes, in our country are disgusting to those who have limited opportunities. We have no ramps, no special devices for transport and in concert halls. War veterans go and prove every year that they are without legs or hands, and suffocating from heart attacks children sit with their mothers in the queue for VTEK because the organization has no money for petrol to come to the sick children home. It's all a reality, but it - somewhere, someone well arranged and thought out. Yes, it was thought, rather than non-thought out. But it seems to me that the head of the monster - not from this side. It - with our heads with you.

That is - a tiny model. My family: me, Hilarion and his twin sister, Valeria. Valery, who is sitting in a mask and gown in the emergency room, and keeps his brother's hand after heart surgery. Clever and funny girl, do not understand why you can laugh now over uncle without his legs. Our house is always calm and cheerful. For the four daughters of her brother - just a little boy, he had not yet grown, and therefore lies in bed. Everything else we do like everyone else - raising cats, standing on his ears, choreography lessons daughters and son loved cartoons. And so here I am eternally unkempt - I am constantly distracted from their work. I work from home, because it does not want sad eyes behind his back - I'm tired. Hunt to turn around and portray something obscene that there, in the back, have confirmed - that is, you see, and very much in grief wisely moved on.

Model slightly higher. You meet on the street, at work or somewhere else with a patient and his relatives. Try to remember here is these same lines: be ordinary. Try to make it appear that before you completely ordinary people. Believe me, they will thank you for it. And just when you learn how to behave with them naturally, they will respond to you not tortured submissive smile and fear in his eyes, and exactly the same openness.

The same model can be extended to the situation when it comes to disability, no sick people. You know how they are afraid of their potential saviors? Helping people to collect money for the operation, I always hear: "he looked at me ..." "I'm afraid to go into the office ..." and so on. And I have a long and, more importantly, honestly explaining to people that actually have a lot of those who can and wants to help. Here are just finding each other does not work, and I think all of this is due to quasi-awkwardness, in which we together dress like old smelly jackets from the garden of our grandmother. Why?

Strange Yet we have culture and customs. Somewhere in a set of genes, where the mind with beauty together, nestle here the gene awkwardness, embarrassment and discomfort. Would remove it with tweezers, and that's that. We have not lowered their eyes at the sight of Down, and were not afraid to give a newspaper ad that we need money, believe me, just for the operation, let alone doedem to the clinic we are ...

I often cite the example of the amazing customs of nomadic and semi-nomadic tribes of the Buryat-Mongol. People who have a civilization is stuck where it is so at the 14th century, in his bone marrow from one generation to pass a rule: first, children, elderly and sick. And only then do the rest. And no "I'll think about it tomorrow."

Think about it. Begin to change the situation themselves. Instill confidence in his usual look a man who is ready to advance your pity. And when he would be confident when you realize that it is not flawed and lonely as the moon in the winter sky, he will do so, that the state will build ramps and special lifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment